Monday, January 19, 2009

When is the right time?

This past week I had coffee with the pastor of the church we're now attending. I talked for about an hour straight, telling my story. All the while he provided the appropriate empathetic statements as I talked. Then it was his turn. He and his wife had come off a very similar experience before coming to this church. There is another former pastor in the church who also had a similar experience. On Sunday, the three of us gathered together and joked about being the Fraternity of the Fired.

Sunday after church we attended the monthly "Pasta with the Pastor". It is an opportunity for people new to the church to meet the pastor and other church leaders. During this time they detail the ministries of the church, its philosophy and vision of ministry, their discipleship process, and other important details in the life of the church. There were approximately 15-20 other new people attending this event, but Tammy and I were the only ones saying "Amen!", "Awesome", "Great", or other exclamations of affirmation, probably because we were the only former pastoral family in attendance.

I must say, I was very excited about the possibilities of being involved in this church for a long time. They are doing everything I've ever had a vision for doing in a church. I don't say that to be critical of previous churches where I have served. That quite possibly is more a reflection on my ability to shape the vision of those churches. Whatever . . . that's not important anyway. The present and future are the point.

One of my strenghts (faults?) is that I make decisions quickly. Most of the time I am able to process all the data, possible scenarios, etc, and make good, wise decisions on the situation. I usually am able to recognize when I need to slow down and allow time to pass so that I can reflect more and get more input from others.

Yesterday was one of those times when I was ready to act. The church is getting to have a new members class and I mentioned attending that class to Tammy. She got bug-eyed and said, "It's too early to consider membership." I agree it's a fast turnaround. Part of my motivation is to learn even more about how the church operates. But I will admit that membership is something I'm willing to commit to. Unless there is some major theological conflict, why not go ahead and commit? We're mature Christians who have served in pastoral ministry and should understand these types of issues better than the average person who just happens to be looking for a church home. However, I will allow that the time factor should be cautiously exercised.

Most of the following questions are rhetorical. Now that I am on the second year of living faithfully, the question becomes "When?" If there is an peace and assurance from the Spirit about this church being a new place of ministry, why not now?

No comments: