Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Closing of a Door?

After finishing the below post I went back to update this page some. I changed a couple of lines in the "Why do this?" paragraph to your left. I reviewed my early posting during that first month back in May. I reread the only post in November. A significant shift has taken place in the time between those two sets. My early posts all came from the perspective of someone who was a pastor not serving in a church, but would probably return to such a role. Over time, the perspective slowly shifted to someone who might continue to be called "pastor" but not going back to the pulpit anytime soon. The shift has reached its final stage with the removal of the title "pastor" for good.

I truly believe that I will never serve a church as a pastor again. Coming to that realization and accepting it has been a liberating experience in my quest to live faithfully to him. The interesting thing is what remains. I have lost the desire to be pastor/leader of a local church. I have lost the sense of the call to be a pastor of a local church. What I have NOT lost is the heart of a pastor that cares about people, their lives, their joys, and their troubles. I think that's because it's really the heart of a Christian, the heart of Christ himself.

This week I closed the door on those possibilities and even removed the word "pastor" from title. I formally turned in my credentials as an ordained minister in The Wesleyan Church. I am no longer "Reverend" or "Pastor" Matt Guthrie. I'm just Matt Guthrie, follower of Christ. Even though I have spent two years praying and contemplating this move, even though I made this decision two months ago, it felt very strange to finally write the letter, seal the envelope, and put it in the mail on Monday morning.

I think I also opened a door this week. One that leads to even more dependence on Him and his leading. One that leads to an even greater searching of what it means to live faithfully. At least I hope so.

3 comments:

Pastor Al said...

Next Tuesday we will be hanging out at Chapel Hill. I know that particular door is NOT closed. You could come...if you wished and no one would expect you to be anything but the Matt Guthrie we have known and loved.

At every 'pastors gathering' I have several lay ministers attend...somewhat in the same spirit that John Wesley used lay people to reach England. I think I am brave enough to stand that ground because THEY do the real work of the ministry. The gatherings wire us to work well together, with shared vision and common experience. I don't want to waste my time explaining something we could all hear together.

I will always honor and respect your choices. However, I don't think you really know how much you are loved and appreciated...at least by real Christ followers. The credentials mean something... but they don't mean everything. The credentials ultimately are expressions of relationship and trust. You and your family are very special human beings.

Anonymous said...

Matt,
Wow, that is a big and finalizing step. It sounds like you are at peace and I hope that peace is very real.

Kevin Murrell said...

I don't know what happened but I had posted to this article when it came out, obviously I did something wrong. Matt we spent a little bit of time talking about ministry and some of the politics around ministry. I enjoyed our talks. I hated to hear this news, however, I respect your decision. I know that God will still use you for His glory. We don't have to have a title or degree to be His worker. Hope to read good things happening in your life in thi new adventure.