Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The "new self" (part 3)

In this journey of trying to live faithfully to God, His will, Word, and everything else, it has also become a journey of self discovery. For many reasons I have been forced to examine what I believe and why to levels heretofore unvisited. I have been searching for the Core of what it means to be a Christan, a subject I will hopefully revisit here again soon. During this time of discovery, I have reaffirmed much of what I already knew about myself. And I have acknowledged some additional truths as well.

One of those truths is I am selfish. All of us are to an extent. I don't think I am any more selfish than the next guy. Sounds like a good cop out or defensive rebuttal doesn't it? Yet I'm serious. I'm selfish, pretty selfish. I like doing things for me. I like being in control of my life. I like to do things in a way that they are most convenient for me.

That's a problem. When I read the Bible, I'm told that I'm supposed to put myself last. We are supposed to look to the needs of others before ourselves, counting our selves nothing (Philippians 2). Jesus said whoever saves his life will lose it. He also said we are to deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow him (Luke 9) What do you do when you are a selfish person who is trying to live faithfully? Aren't those polar opposites?

Honestly,I think I'm ok. And not just because I'm selfish. I think I'm okay because I feel like I meet those above requirements to deny self. Part 4 will address this more. Come back and see what some of the other implications are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm with you!