Monday, June 9, 2008

Another Perspective on the Core

Recently, I came across some links relating to The Creeds of Orthodox Christianity (The Apostle's Creed, the Nicene Creed, etc.). In my first post about The Core, I mention the creeds as candidates for the Core, but backed away from that proposition in a later post. Keith Drury makes an interesting case for the creeds being the Core. Here are two links to his thoughts on the issue: Why Study the Creeds and an interview with his publisher. What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They provide a basic foundation of what we believe, and who we believe in. As well the apostles creed in particular encapsulates the Bible in less than 170 words. Creation to Life Everlasting.
Interesting how the creeds focus on the person of God in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and most current debates and arguments center on the Bible and how it was written, etc.
Wonder if our focus is off?

Matt Guthrie said...

JP, thanks for stopping by.

Great comment on how the creeds have historically focused on who God is (in his three person-ness) and current debates focus on doctrine. It's helping me process whether my Core is too small or if the Creeds are a just another layer, albeit a very essential layer. I hope to post some of my ponderings soon.

Anonymous said...

I just figure a bunch of people invested a great deal of time way back when to figure a lot of this out, and, via the creeds, produced a pretty darn good explanation of what we believe as followers of Christ....And, they've stood the test of time, I think.